The corporate world shares many similarities with dragon boat racing. In both settings, the secret to success involves collaboration, communication, commitment and coordination. Without a doubt, the same characteristics that affect a company’s bottom line will also drive them to the finish line.
The sport is a fun team-building activity that can benefit your employees, co-workers and clients in numerous ways. Here are some examples:
• Dragon boating creates an inclusive environment – people of all ages and fitness levels can participate
• The nature of the sport emphasizes unity and working together
• Driving toward the finish line renews energy, enthusiasm and motivation
• Paddlers communicate by cheering each other on
• The sport encourages leaders to move to the fore-front
• Completing a race or training session develops a sense of pride and accomplishment among participants
• Twenty paddlers in one boat = increased camaraderie
"Our crew has become very cohesive and team oriented. This is not a result of dragon boating, but as a consequence of being on a dragon boat team." - Dragon Boat Team Captain
Dragon boating provides an opportunity for a diverse staff of hundreds to get to know each other. The unique experience provides an equal platform for a CEO and a mailroom clerk to work together, side-by-side, and bridge communication gaps by building strong supportive relationships.
“No matter what your role is in the office, you’re all equals in the bot and we paddles as one unit. It was a fantastic experience, I can’t wait to do it again next year.” – Shockley Au, Search Engine People
Teamwork is everything in dragon boat racing. Synchronicity is more important than strength. A perfectly synchronized team will almost always beat a stronger, but less coordinated team. This ability is vital in today's changing marketplace, especially when working with teams made up of highly diversified talent.
The physical experience of being in the dragon boat and feeling the synchronicity of group movement is an excellent springboard for clear, creative thinking and innovation. Creativity and new fresh approaches are seldom found sitting at a boardroom table. Bursts of insight, inspiration, and brilliance come from experiences that are 'outside the norm'.
Dragon boat racing:
• Fosters team spirit and cooperation among employees
• Provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere helping to reduce communication barriers
• Encourages employee mental and physical health through a commitment to fitness and each other
• Provides a fun recreational opportunity for employees and their families - promoting job appreciation, creativity and high employee retention
• Offers a unique opportunity to explore group dynamics, and increase productivity and effectiveness
• Long-term benefits associated with employees' involvement in physical activity such as decreased absenteeism and increased productivity