Office Managing Member, Dykema
Mr. Borders represents clients in a wide variety of litigation and litigation related matters including defending manufacturers in product liability, personal injury and commercial litigation, and insurance coverage disputes. He is a member of the Firm's Executive Board.
Mr. Borders joined the Chicago office in 1981. His recent litigation experience has included the relatively unique representation of parents sued as the result of alleged crimes committed by their children. This has resulted in repeat appearances on local and national television. Over the years he has represented clients in a wide variety of litigation-related matters, including:
• defending domestic and foreign manufacturers in product liability suits including manufacturers of a variety of industrial tools, presses, trucks, water heaters, adhesives and other industrial and consumer products
• defending corporations and individuals, directly or through retention by an insurance carrier, in a variety of personal injury litigation
• defending and prosecuting non-personal injury litigation, including breach of contract, non-competition, trade secret agreements, insurance coverage disputes, and various commercial disputes
• acted as national counsel to a manufacturer of industrial products, supervising its litigation throughout the United States. This includes selecting and supervising counsel as well as advising on the trial or settlement of claims. In addition, Mr. Borders advises clients in minimizing litigation exposure and on the legal implications of business decisions.
• insurance coverage disputes, including prosecuting and defending declaratory judgment and bad faith suits as well as consulting on the most appropriate course of action to resolve complex coverage issues
• successfully tried lawsuits and argued appeals in both federal and state courts
• acted as an arbitrator and has successfully represented clients in controversies submitted to arbitration or alternative dispute resolution.
• Board Member, Mercy Housing Lakefront
• Board Member, Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
• Member of the Federal Trial Bar, Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
• University Club of Chicago
• Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
• Illinois Bar Association
• Chicago Bar Association
• American Bar Association (Litigation, Tort and Insurance Practice, Committees on Products, General Liability and Consumer Law and Insurance Coverage Litigation)
• Board Member, Friends of Prentice
• Named in The Best Lawyers in America 2009-2010 (Product Liability Litigation)
• Named and Illinois Super Lawyer by Law & Politics and Chicago Magazine in Civil Litigation Defense category (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009)
• Selected as Leading Lawyer by Leading Lawyer Network
Last Updated on 2011-01-24 10:28:11.238